Satellite time series can provide temporal and spatial consistent measurements that have demonstrated potential as a means to derive information on the dynamic nature of Earth surface processes (sea, ice, land, atmosphere), to detect, identify and map changes. Thanks to the establishment and maintenance of long-term Earth observing programs, satellite time series are now at our disposal and can be used to reveal how the world has changed, facilitating a response as well as providing a useful tool for future planning. Moreover, the application of geospatial statistics will provide powerful tools to extract even subtle changes but with significant impacts on Earth dynamics for a number of application fields, which include, but are not limited to, the following:
- water, ice, atmosphere and land surface monitoring;
- analysis of natural and man-made disturbances;
- urban expansion and sprawl;
- geophysical and geochemical parameters;
- natural resources management.